If you’ve never used one during your period, using a tampon for the first time can seem a bit daunting at first. But once you get it right, it’ll take just a for example moments. The secret is to relax and don’t try to insert a tampon when you’re not on your period. We’ll help you learn how to use a tampon for the first time.
We’ve pulled together several tips to help you use a tampon effortlessly:
- Practise inserting a tampon when your period flow is medium to heavy.
- Find a position that is comfortable for you. Some people find it easier to crouch down with their knees apart, or to stand with one foot on the toilet seat or edge of the bath. Try different positions to find one that works for you.
- Wash your hands before unwrapping the tampon, even if you’re using an aplicator.
- Stretch the cord of the tampon before you insert it.
- Tilt the tampon slightly backwards and not straight up when you insert it. This way the tampon will follow the natural slope of your vagina.
- Remove the tampon if you can feel it straight after the insertion. You’ll need to insert another one - try to push it a little further.
- Wrap the used applicator in a tissue and throw it in a bin. Dispose of a used tampon in the same way.
Every pack of TAMPAX comes with a step-by-step guide and this can be used as a guide to how to use a tampon for the first time. Please make sure that you take a look at this before using a tampon for the first time.